YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Simple question about Squirrel.
Nilkanth
#1 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 5:53:08 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hey there,
I'm new to programming and my question is : Do I need to know any other programming language to learn squirrel or could I just start with squirrel as my first programming language? If not, could you please recommend me some languages before I start with squirrel.

Thank you.
absence
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 2:05:25 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
As much as I like Squirrel, I wouldn't recommend it to beginners for learning programming.
"Plain" Squirrel can't do much more than print text on the screen or read and write files. You will have to also learn C++ if you want more - and as Squirrel has a pretty similar syntax but in fact does function quite differently, I wouldn't recommend to learn both at a time to avoid confusion.

Well, I started with Basic two decades ago, then assembler(6502, then 68000, 8051 and a bit x86), then C, then C++, and finally ended using scripting languages (PHP, TCL, LUA, Squirrel and the like. Where Squirrel is my absolute favourite).

Dunno what's best to start with today (I dare to say Java, though I absolutely dislike it). If you really want to dig in, C or C++ is a hard start and a long way, but you will learn things from the ground up. (I know too many people screwed up by PHP and co. When someone says he's programming HTML, then that's the extreme case showing what I'm talking about).
However, I recommend starting with C and C++. As said, a hard and long way to go. You have to decide, so maybe do not listen solely to me ;-)

Whatever way you choose, when you got familiar with C/C++ one day, please come back and experience the joy of Squirrel :D
1 user thanked absence for this useful post.
Nilkanth on 12/9/2016(UTC)
Kelvin
#3 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 9:11:47 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Apart from print() and object-specific functions, Squirrel doesn't have any functionality of its own. It's instead extended by the software it's embedded in giving it access to that program's functions so that it can in turn extend that software. Learning the language itself wouldn't take very long.

Now as a first language, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's a nice mix between JavaScript and C++, so you could go either way after using Squirrel. Plus, Squirrel can be embedded into either of those now, so whichever way you go, you can take Squirrel with you. Alternatively, if you learn JavaScript or C++ first, moving into Squirrel isn't that hard, either. Codecademy and SoloLearn have tutorials for JS, but only SoloLearn has C++.

If you wanna try starting with Squirrel, you can try the tutorial I wrote. I've been dying to get some feedback on it. It's here if you wanna check it out: http://kelvinshadewing.net/res/tuts